The Environmental Health & Safety Manager reporting to the VP – North America Thermoforming Operations for The Waddington Group, is the safety Subject Matter Expert for Polarpak’s manufacturing facilities and offices located in Brampton. His/her role is focused on creating and nurturing a safety culture that is valued by all employees as a key facet of Polarpak’s philosophy of doing business. Leading and supporting Health & Safety, this role’s responsibilities include a broad range of H&S initiatives to be implemented and managed across six facilities located in Brampton.
- Ensure that all company facilities are in compliance with Health & Safety legislation and regulations.
- Design, implement, and maintain organizational health and safety policies, processes and programs.
- Partner with all six facilities in Brampton to provide insights and recommendations to improve all applicable metrics/ Key Performance Indicators.
- Ensure that tools, programs and processes are implemented effectively and results are achieved.
- Maintain a hands-on approach with on-the-floor presence in order to drive the Health & Safety agenda.
- Act as a Leader and Coach to supervisors and other staff company-wide on EHS matters and benchmark practices across the group for continuous improvement
- Develop strategies, programs and policies to prevent workplace injuries.
- Provide regular reporting and recommendations to senior management on health and safety statistics and performance.
- Liaise with external agencies including the Ministry of Labour (MOL) and the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB).
- Initiate and maintain effective working relationships with key managers across the organization, including operations, sales, human resources and other business leaders, to increase awareness and collaboration on issues of common concern.
- Design and conduct training and communication on Health & Safety compliance requirements for management, staff and Joint Health and Safety Committees using internal and external resources.
- Coordinate regular facility audits and set audit standards.
- Manage all WSIB claims including appeal hearings and WSIAT.
- Provide leadership and coaching to the EHS team.
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in Occupational Health and Safety.
- 7 + years of experience working in a leadership role within Health & Safety, ideally gained in a manufacturing environment
- Proven ability in developing and implementing EHS programs.
- CRSP and/or CHSC designations.
- Joint Health & Safety Committee (JHSC) Certification - Parts 1 & 2
- Extensive knowledge of Ontario’s OHS legislation and requirements
- Exceptional communication, facilitation & training skills in the health and safety areas.
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills
- Excellent communication (written and oral) skills
- Proficiency using MS Work, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
- Own vehicle & valid Ontario Drivers License.
- Typical office environment.
- Regular plant visits along with the use of safety equipment’s like ear plugs, safety shoes, hair net etc.
- Working hours: mainly office hours, with occasional extra hours.
- Plant health & safety technician
- Health & safety co-ordinator
At Polar Pak, we are committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible work environment, where all employees feel valued, respected and supported. Polar Pak offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities as part of our recruitment process. If you are in need of an accommodation during our recruitment process, please specify in your job application.